Download and read HABS Guide to Field Documentation
Marika’s hints for field documentation:
- Documentation takes time. Allot enough time to be methodical. Nothing was ever done well in an hour.
- The person who writes it down, drafts is up.
- Be methodical – even if it’s redundant. Being methodical helps you remember to gather all of the information you need and helps interpret it after you’ve left the site.
- Be redundant. Never rely on one measurement or one photo. Always make sure there’s overlap of dimensions and photos to help solve mysteries that arise later.
- Never assume anything is symmetrical (or square, or planar, or evenly spaced.